The raw water canal will be closed due to maintenance from October 20 to 23.
The Mbombela Local Municipality has also announced that the canal will closed between December 1 and 4.
Residents are urged to use water sparingly to avoid water shortages.
Here are a few water-saving tips:
• Make sure there aren’t any pipes with leaks or dripping taps in the house or on your property.
• Report any leaks or water wastage at the municipality.
• Don’t water your garden between 12:00 and 15:00 or on windy days.
• Take a shower instead of a bath or share a bath with family members.
• Don’t leave the tap running when brushing teeth, rising vegetables or washing dishes. Fill the sink instead.
• Use a bucket when washing the car, instead of a hose.
• Fill up the kettle with just enough water for your requirements. This will have the added benefit of saving electricity.
• Take care not to overfill your pool, and if you have an inflatable pool, place it in the shade to minimise water evaporation.
• Reuse dishwashing or bath water by using it to water the garden.
• Keep water bottles in the fridge. In addition to having cold water at hand, this will cut down on the cost of buying water wherever you go. If you need to attend an event, freeze a few of the bottles (make sure they are freezer-proof) and wrap them in newspaper when you put them in the cooler bag. This will keep them cooler for longer. You can even fill it with juice as an interesting version of ice lollies or slush puppy.